HIV/AIDS Facts & Figures
In the United States
Every 9 1/2 minutes, someone in the U.S. is infected with HIV.
21% of people living with HIV are undiagnosed.
1.7 million Americans have been infected with HIV and more than 617,025 have died of AIDS-related causes.
1.1 million Americans are currently living with HIV/AIDS.
African-Americans and Latinos are disproportionately affected by HIV and AIDS. Blacks accounted for 45% of new HIV infections in 2006 and 47% of those living with the disease, yet they make up only 12% of the U.S. population. Latinos account for 17% of new infections yet comprise 15% of the U.S. population, while whites represent 35% of new infections and account for 66% of the total population.
Young adults and teens between 13 and 29 represent 34% of new HIV infections, the largest share of any age group. Black teens are disproportionately affected, representing 68% of reported AIDS cases among 13 to 19-year-olds in 2007.
Women now account for 27% of HIV infections, with 280,000 women living with HIV and AIDS. Black women accounted for two thirds (64%) of new AIDS diagnoses among women in 2009; Latinas represented 18% and white women, 15%
Around the World
An estimated 33.3 million people are living with HIV/AIDS.
Since the beginning of the epidemic, 60 million people have contracted HIV and 25 million have died of AIDS-related causes.
In 2009, an estimated 2.6 million people were newly infected with HIV.
HIV/AIDS fact sheets (AIDS Foundation of Chicago)
These fact sheets include Illinois and Chicago data from 2010, the most recent year for which complete data is available
- Illinois fact sheet (PDF)
- Chicago fact sheet (PDF)
- African-American fact sheet (PDF)
- Women in Illinois fact sheet (PDF)
- Injection Drug Use fact sheet (PDF)
- Latino fact sheet (PDF)
- Gay Men & Men Who Have Sex With Men (MSM) fact sheet (PDF)
Additional fact sheets:
- Kaiser Family Foundation (global and United States)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- The Chicago Department of Public Health's HIV/AIDS brief (PDF)
- The San Francisco AIDS Foundation's evidence report on Transgender Persons and HIV (PDF)
AIDS United fact sheets:
- Illinois HIV/AIDS cases, funding and policy (PDF)
- State-by-state HIV fact sheets