Tri :: Fundraising
TEAM TO END AIDS (T2) participants will be required to meet a minimum fundraising goal to help support the programs of the AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC). These programs help prevent new HIV infections and improve the lives of people affected by the epidemic in the Chicago region and around the world. We know this may sound like a lot of money, but we’ll show you how to do it. T2 staff has helped thousands of participants reach and even exceed their fundraising goals.
How much money do I need to raise to be in the T2 program?
The fundraising requirement for your participation in the T2 program is correlated to the T2 training program that you are registered for:
• Chicago Marathon: $1,200
• Chicago Half Marathon: $600
• Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon: $600
• Marine Corps Marathon: $1,600
• Chicago Triathlon: $1,800
• Shamrock Shuffle: No Minimum Requirement, Suggested: $250
*Marine Corps Marathon is only offered to Alumni of the T2 program. Participants who meet the minimum fundraising requirement will receive two nights hotel accommodation. Transportation costs are not covered by T2 and are the responsibility of the participant.
What is the deadline to raise this amount of money?
Each of our three programs has a fundraising deadline and this date is based on the date that each respective event requires registrations for our participants. Therefore, you need to raise the above minimum by the following date:
• Chicago Marathon: July 16, 2012
• Chicago Half Marathon: July 16, 2012
• Rock 'n' Roll Half Marathon: June 25, 2012
• Marine Corps Marathon: July 16, 2012*
• Chicago Triathlon: July 6, 2012
*Marine Corps Marathon participants: Due to the limited number of entries; participants will be required to complete a fundraising commitment form by March 30, 2012.
How will I raise this much money?
If raising money concerns you, you are not alone. It is often times the #1 concern of participants in the T2 program. And, we are here to support you -- our T2 staff is trained to support you in your fundraising efforts and each staff member and many of the coaches have raised thousands of dollars as participants in this program.
We offer the following tools to support you:
• Your own online fundraising page on the T2EA.com website – you are able to upload photos and customize your page with your own message to your donors.
• The T2 Facebook Application: we have designed and developed a comprehensive Facebook application for all T2 participants where you can send FB updates and posts to your “friends” and include the link to your online fundraising page.
• You will receive a fundraising manual with sample letters, events and tools to get you started and keep you going.
• Fundraising Workshops lead by your Team Manager to share ideas and help you develop a fundraising plan.
• There will be opportunities to get fundraising credit by having volunteers in the office and the training sites on the weekends.
• Finally, we offer the “REFER A FRIEND” program where you can receive $100 fundraising credit for each person who registers for T2 based on your recommendation (they must list you on their registration form at the time of registration in order for you to receive the credit).
Why do I need to raise money?
T2 is both a training and fundraising program and each holds equal importance. In order to provide you with a comprehensive training program to prepare you for your endurance event, we must raise the money required to pay for all the services you will receive to meet your fundraising and training goals. Once you register and begin your T2 journey, you will begin to see the many services and support features we offer as part of this program – all of which cost money to provide. And, we are also committed that a high percentage of the money raised goes to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC) for the valuable work that we do for people living with, and at risk for, HIV/AIDS. AFC is proud to return 90% of funds raised back to the community.
Where will the money I raise go?
The proceeds raised through TEAM TO END AIDS (T2) will go to the private grant-making program of the AIDS Foundation of Chicago (AFC). As a not-for-profit organization, AFC relies on events like T2 to raise money to advocate for sound and compassionate public policy, coordinate the activities of local AIDS service providers, and fund dozens of community-based organizations providing AIDS prevention, care, housing, education, and capacity-building projects.
Are donations made to my fundraising tax-deductable?
Yes! As a registered 501(c)3 all donations to the AIDS Foundation of Chicago are tax deductable to the fullest extent allowed by law.
What happens if I don’t raise the money?
We will work with you in every way we can to raise the money required by the deadlines listed above. You meeting your fundraising goals is one of our top priorities! We have a convenient structure in place for you to place any balance that you still need to raise on a debit/credit card. Then, you will have until December 31, 2012 to raise this balance and your credit/debit card will be credited back for what you raise up to the amount that you were charged.
However, there are times when a participant is not willing or able to raise the money required and/or put the balance on a card to remain a viable participant in the program. At this time, a participant is no longer a participant in the program and is not able to continue their training. Also, the participant will not be registered into the event they have chosen to train for. Again, we will work with each and every participant to avoid these measures.
Why is the amount to be raised different for the five events?
The amount to be raised for each event is directly correlated to the type and length of training program provided to you by T2. For instance, the training program for the Chicago Triathlon requires more services and logistics than the marathon/half marathon programs.
What travel benefits are provided for the events outside of Chicago Area?
We will be providing hotel accommodations for those participants who meet the fundraising requirement for the Marine Corps Marathon and Steelhead 70.3. We will provide hotel accommodations and this is based on double-occupancy and you will be allowed to choose your roommate. Single rooms are available for those wishing to “buy-out” the double-occupancy requirement. More travel details will be available closer to the event.
NOTE: You are responsible for your own transportation to the event and any related costs to get you to the respective city for your event.